What are the Best Golf Sets for Beginners in 2018?
A set of golf clubs can range from a minor expense to a significant investment of thousands of dollars.
Regardless of your commitment and passion for the game, you shouldn’t go for the most expensive options when starting out.
We will explore the reasons for that in our buying guide and cover the best options for you on the market in the next section.
Let’s dive right in:
Our Roundup Selection
Editors Choice: Callaway Men's Strata Complete Golf Club Set with Bag
The Strata set from Callaway comes in three variants.
The primary option is a nine club set with a driver, a 3-wood, a 5-hybrid, set of four irons with a pitching wedge, and a putter.
If you want a bigger package, you have an 11 club setup with another hybrid and a sand wedge.
The 12 club set has another 5-wood thrown into the mix for added long game variety. All three variants come with a stand bag and varying numbers of club head covers.
- Complete set with several variants that can suit any budget.
- Adding hybrids instead of long irons is beneficial for beginners.
- Driver and woods have large, forgiving sweet spots.
- The irons are also perimeter weighted.
- The stand bag is very convenient and comes with five extra pockets.
- Some beginners might feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of clubs.
- Metal shafted irons may not suit everyone.
- Some golfers faced durability issues with these clubs.
If you want to learn the finer aspects of golf without spending a ton of money, the Wilson set can be a great companion.
The 10-club set includes:
- irons 5-PW
For the affordable price tag you trade in club variety.
Depending on your goals, this may actually be a benefit for you, as you have to master less clubs.
- Affordable set of clubs suitable for most beginners.
- Adding a hybrid is helpful.
- The driver has a very forgiving clubhead.
- The woods and hybrids have very forgiving heads.
- The stand bag is useful.
- Has durability issues with the irons.
- No option with more clubs available to cover more scenarios on the course.
- Not suitable for short golfers.
Best Seller: Pinemeadow PRE Men’s 16-Piece Complete Golf Set
Pinemeadow is well known for their affordable sets of beginner friendly clubs.
The 11-club Pre Men’s set contains :
- six irons (4-9)
- pitching wedge
- pre-mallet putter
- Carry bag with stand and dual straps
- Head covers for driver, wood and hybrid
- The titanium driver and 3-wood with graphite shafts for distance and power
- The 3-hybrid comes with a steel shaft and offers versatility and accuracy from many lies.
- Steel shafted, perimeter weighted irons are very forgiving and offer a lot of control and feedback
- The carry bag with stand can be a backpack and contains a lot of useful pockets and accessories.
- Excellent value for money option for beginners with best in class forgiveness across the range of clubs
- Some customers report durability issues with the bag
- The driver also has some durability issues, especially with regular use
- Not suitable for shorter golfers, due to the club length
Worthy Competitor: Prosimmon Golf X9 V2 Golf Club Set & Bag
The V2 is the second iteration of the very popular X9 series of starter golf club sets from the Prosimmon brand.
The company is one of the smaller manufacturers catering to beginners and amateurs.
This 11-Club set includes:
- 3 and 4-hybrid
- 5-9 irons
- pitching wedge
- Headcovers for the driver, wood and hybrids
- Stand bag
- The 460cc driver is large and very forgiving, with a graphite shaft ideal for beginners
- Both the wood and hybrids get graphite shafts, improving the long distance game
- The irons come with cavity back heads and steel shafts, making them easier to swing and play
- Good value for money at a low price point
- The clubs are great even for taller players over 6’2”
- Not suitable for players smaller than 5’10”.
- In contrast to the other clubs in the set, the irons are not suitable for taller players.
- The driver seems to have some reliability issues.
Worthy Competitor: Confidence Golf Men’s Power Hybrid Club Set & Stand Bag
This focuses on providing quality clubs to beginners and amateurs.
The Confidence Power Hybrid is one of the cheapest sets a beginner could hope for.
It has everything you need if you are setting foot onto a golf course for the first time in your life.
The 11-club set usually hovers around $100 and includes:
- steel shafted driver
- a 3-wood
- a 4-hybrid
- 6-9 irons
- pitching wedge
- stand bag
Expect only the most basic functionality, and this set won’t dissapoint you.
- The rock bottom price is its main plus point, making it an ideal set for complete beginners on a tight budget.
- Getting a stand bag at that price point makes it a good deal.
- Irons have large faces and are beginner friendly.
- The hybrid 4-wood is excellent.
- Build quality is not as durable as other sets.
- Not suitable if you plan to play golf weekly.
- No graphite shafts on the driver or wood.
Golf Set for Beginners: Buying Guide
According to the laws that govern the sport, every golfer is only allowed to carry 14 golf clubs for a round of golf.
A standard club set will have some or the following clubs:
- Driver: a long club used to strike the ball across hundreds of yards from the tee.
- Fairway woods: Long clubs used either from the tee or for the second shot from the fairways on longer holes (par 4 and above).
- Irons: a set of seven or more clubs or varying lengths, used everywhere on the freeway, and to get the ball onto the green. A standard iron set includes long irons, mid irons, short irons, and wedges.
- Putter: used to stroke the ball into the hole on the green. It is often the most used club in a round of golf.
- Hybrids: Multipurpose clubs that mix the best abilities of long irons and fairway woods. As a beginner, you can Hybrids instead of long irons because they are easier to strike the ball with.
Why Buy A Complete Set As A Beginner?
Modern golf clubs are available in different configurations.
You will find iron sets with steel or graphite shafts, woods and drivers with graphite shafts, all with their unique shaft flex levels.
A club with Regular shaft will behave different when compared to one fitted with an Extra Stiff shaft.
And golf clubs also have their unique loft angles, which have to be maintained in an optimal spread when you assemble a golf club set on your own.
When you buy a complete set, don’t worry about any of these things. You get drivers and complementary clubs. They are all in the correct order and matching designs.
If you start your game learning phase with a patchwork of mismatched clubs, it will hurt your early learning phase.
A complete set made by a single manufacturer will have all the clubs sporting a similar look and feel. This makes it easier for you to familiarize yourself with the different golf clubs. You also get a very useful golf bag along with the package.
Buying Cheaper Club Sets: Why Less Might Be More
The budget for your set of golf clubs is entirely up to you. If you have the means and inclination to buy an expensive set from a top manufacturer like Callaway, TaylorMade, or Cleveland, go ahead.
These brands are renowned the world over for making some of the best golf clubs for beginners, intermediate and expert players. Even if you outgrow them or leave the sport altogether, you can always get a fair deal by selling them off.
Expensive clubs are also recommended if you plan to golf a lot. Cheaper sets may not be durable enough to stand sustained use.
But if you only plan to try your hand at the sport sporadically, or are unsure whether you will continue with the game. Buying an expensive set is not recommended.
For just a few hundred dollars, you can get your hands on an competent set of clubs from reputed manufacturers like Wilson.
Make sure that you are buying a set that suits your physical requirements and you will be okay.
Ideal Club Categories For Beginners
It takes training and practice to learn a good golf swing. No club, no matter how expensive, can replace a proper stance and swing. But for beginner golfers, the choice of clubs can make a difference on the golf course.
Game improvement and super game improvement are categories most associated with beginners. These clubs have specially designed and oversized clubheads that make it easier for you to hit the ball accurately on a consistent basis.
The best golf clubs for beginners are usually found in these categories. A lot depends on how you plant to take up the sport. If you want a relaxed and casual experience, go for maximum game improvement clubs. They will make life all the easier on the golf course.
Starter club sets usually have game improvement clubs with increased forgiveness.
Shaft And Flex Guide
Woods and drivers benefit from having graphite shafts. Unless you are a lady or senior golfer, you shouldn’t need graphite shafts on the shorter irons. These clubs will perform better with steel shafts, which provide them with more control and improved feedback on shots.
Hybrids are usually equipped with graphite shafts. This material improves you swing speed and distance.
Golf clubs come with different shaft flexes suitable for players of a different caliber. The best golf clubs for intermediate and expert players will have stiffer shafts for better control and accuracy.
Beginner golfers should try their hands at regular flex on their set. If you struggle with slower than average swings speeds and distance on your shots, try more flexible options like Senior or Ladies flex.
Here is a very informative YouTube video about golf clubs and their shaft flex for beginners:
A Sample Beginner Set
As a beginner, you don’t need the full complement of 14 clubs to play golf. It can be counterproductive since of you getting overwhelmed. Clubs like drivers are harder for beginners to wield effectively.
All you need is a half set, something that includes two fairway woods, the mid and short irons, two wedges, and a putter. These days, manufacturers even throw in a couple to easy to hit hybrids into the mix for added versatility.
Most of the club sets we encountered during our quest for the best golf set for beginners seems to share a common blueprint.
They all have a graphite shafted driver, a fairway wood, a token hybrid, and mid to short irons with steel shafts, a pitching wedge, and a putter.
So we had to choose the top pick based on quality, durability, and extra features.
Based on this criteria, the Callaway Strata series has the best golf clubs for beginners. It provides three configuration choices, exceptional forgiveness, and solid build quality.
The Wilson and Pinemeadow sets come in close second and third respectively.
Best Articles on Related Topics
Or, browse the Best Golf Club Sets.