Woods are somewhat in a strange spot.
Drivers (1-Woods), hybrids and Irons get all the marketing hype, while woods are often really enjoyable to play with.
So in this article, we’ll show 5-Woods some love.
We will discuss what makes a solid wood club, compare the best 5-Woods on the market and discuss what to look for if you choose to get one.
Let’s jump in.
The Best 5 Woods we compared:
At a glance: Out top picks of best 5 woods
- Our Top Pick: TaylorMade M2 Men's Fairway Wood
- Cobra Men's KING F6 Fairway Wood
- TaylorMade Men's AeroBurner
- Callaway Golf Men's Rogue Fairway Wood
- Bullet Golf Ladies Fairway Wood
Finding the right 5 Wood – a Buying Guide
To help you go through our list of products, here we are going to describe some of the most important things you should look for while searching for a wood club.
We will provide overall information regarding the benefits wood clubs, and go through these particular factors, ultimately making your choice a whole lot easier: loft adjustability, shaft (dimensions and material), face angle, weight, and some general advice.
Why a Wood Club?
Firstly, all the products we presented are fairway woods for golf. They aren’t exactly made of wood, but they used to be; hence the name wood club. Today, these clubs are made of metal, carbon, with rubber finish over the crown and grip.
Fairways are used for making long-range shots and are designed with speed and distance in mind. They frequently feature aerodynamic design, so that the head cuts through the air, has less drag, and ultimately impacts the ball with a lot of power.
Is wood better than iron? Hard to tell. As with anything in golf, this is a preference thing. Though, they are often the longest clubs, and as such often deliver the longest shots on the golf course.
Some woods feature an adjustable loft, which is most useful for more experienced players. In essence, they have adjustable hosel (see here for more info on hosel), allowing the players to adjust the club to their liking.
In essence, the players can replace the preinstalled settings, and adjust the loft by several degrees, thus changing the impact angle. The angle ultimately affects the way you hit the ball, meaning that it will fly either higher or lower upon impact.
If you seek fairway with the adjustable club, go for the ones that feature such capabilities, like the Cobra Men’s KING F6 Fairway Wood does.
Club’s shaft is comparable to the plant’s stem and is the part that binds the grip and the head of the club. Generally speaking, shorter shafts give you a bit more control over your swing, which makes sense, since you are adjacent to the ball and able align better with it.
But, wood golf clubs don’t care about that, which is good. They often feature the longest shafts, which does give you less control but grants more speed and distance on the course.
While reviewing our products, we will talk about various flex options (regular, senior, stiff, etc.) In short, most today’s shafts are graphite made, a carbon-based material that features layer by layer chemical compound structure.
This means that, by adding more layers, you can make the shaft stiffer or softer. Well, consider what you want when selecting the flex level. If you are a novice, don’t worry about these things and go for the regular flex. After you experience the club, you will be able to tell by the feel whether the club is too stiff or soft for you.
There are also steel shafts, which are frequently used by professional players (see this article), for they grant them more control over the swing. Also, they affect the vertical flight of the ball and ordinarily deliver lower trajectory.
In essence, the face is the thing with which you hit the ball. There are open and closed face angles, both of which may affect the balls vertical trajectory and distance. If you have trouble understanding this concept, you can read this article, or watch the following video to understand things easily.
There is no precise way of determining which angle should you go for, open on closed one, for it mostly comes down to your personal choice. Most experts agree that the face angle mostly affects the direction at which the ball is heading, specifically initial direction.
In essence, if you want the straight shot, the angle should be zero. If you want it to fly slightly left, you need closed face angle, and vice versa (not that this is true for right-handed golfers).
Weight And Other Advice
When it comes to weight, the reasoning should be simple. Frequently, people with slow swing speed should seek lighter clubs and vice versa. However, this isn’t a rule.
Most of the products on our list weight somewhere between 1.5 to 3 pounds, which is substantial in the world of golf, so pay close attention to weight. If you are a beginner, go for the lighter clubs, and then slowly move your way up to heavier ones if you realize that ht light ones don’t suit you.
Our Top Picks for the best 5 wood
- Extremely versatile wood golf club with four different wood configurations
- Very forgiving, thanks to the Inverted Cone Technology
- Perfect for making long range, low face shots, thanks to the open channel design on the club’s head
- Fantastic feel and sound, thanks to the two-layer design
- Made of a high-quality material (stainless steel and 6-layer carbon)
- Features F6 GC Tunning that delivers a penetrating ball flight with more roll
- Comes with Eight easily adjustable loft settings to manage trajectory
- A back CG position delivers a towering ball flight with greater forgiveness
- Fine tune launch conditions maximizes distance on any course, and for any swing
- Offers you optimum spin and higher ball speeds
- Comes for both hands, three stiffness options, and three degrees settings
- Features classic, aerodynamic design, shaped and made to strive for distance and speed
- Thin and soft face with speed pockets that grant more forgiveness
- Combines lightweight metal with elastic, thin carbon cover face, crafted to suit recreational golfers and beginners alike
- Comes with Callaway’s new ‘Jailbreak Distance Technology,’ enriching their clubs with more forgiveness and more distance
- Highly configurable club (from 13.5 degree/3+ wood to 23 degreess/9wood)
- Internal Standing Technology, gives you more control over the spin and distance
- Aerodynamically designed for reduced drag
- Highly versatile and adjustable
- Comes with a beautiful and stylish design
- Long wood club explicitly made for female golfers, due to the shorter shaft and lightweight feature
- Thin, stainless steel crown with low CG that puts pressure on the lower parts of the club, giving you more velocity upon impact
- Comfortable responsive feeling upon impact
- Offers decent precision, great speed and distance
5 Best 5 Woods for 2021
1. TaylorMade M2 Men's Fairway WoodCheck latest price
- made of a high-quality material (stainless steel and 6-layer carbon)
- lightweight and durable
- will add speed and distance to your game
- features stylish, futuristic design
- suited for professionals and amateurs (forgiving Inverted Cone Technology)
- somewhat expensive (compared to others on the list)
- not the best option for seniors (flex)
We are starting our list with TaylorMade 2017 M2 Men’s Fairway Wood, expensive, but also very versatile wood golf club. It is available for right and left-handed people, two stiffness options (regular and stiff), as well as four different wood configurations.
The club is made of several materials: the body is made of durable stainless steel (450), 455 stainless steel face, and covered with 6-layer carbon. This club is very forgiving, thanks to the Inverted Cone Technology, and is as such suited for both amateurs and professionals.
The club is perfect for making long range, low face shots, thanks to the open channel design on the club’s head. Upon impact, the club transmits energy and catapults the ball with high speed in the dedicated direction.
Thanks to the two-layer design, the club provides you with fantastic feel and sound, giving you enough feedback on each shot you make. It is perfect for anyone who seeks versatile, distance-oriented and lightweight wood club (weighs 1.5 pounds).
The downside is the price, and it is not suited for seniors, for it does miss senior flex option.
The TaylorMade M2 Men’s Fairway Wood is one of the best golf fairway woods out there, thanks to the features it comes with. You get a club that offers high levels of forgiveness and accuracy thanks to the enlarged clubface and Inverted Cone Technology. The stainless steel and 6-layer carbon makes it light and durable for extra comfort when you take shots. If you are looking for a fairway wood that will significantly boost your performance on the rough or fairway, this is it.
2. Cobra Men's KING F6 Fairway WoodCheck latest price
- highly adjustable
- compatible with fast and slow swing players
- Speed Channel Technology delivers amazing distance
- value for money, quality made and sturdy
- feels amazing, provides great feedback (and the sound is cool)
- somewhat heavy
- adjustability might be overwhelming, especially for beginners
Next to wood club on our list is the Cobra Men’s KING F6 Fairway Wood, both versatile and sturdy. Compatible for both left and right-handers, the club features three stiff-options (stiff, regular, senior), and comes in three different colors.
This club features F6 GC Tunning, meaning it is fit for both short and long-range game. The forward GC position grants more consistent roll and speed, while the back position grants you a lot of distance and ball flight.
The product features a total of eight loft settings, making it highly adjustable and suited for all-swing types and different golf courses, with the emphasis on achieving greater distance.
Cobra, the manufacturer of this club, introduced Speed Channel technology. The club’s face is designed with minimal stiffness and more elasticity. Because of that this club conserves and transmits energy efficiently upon impact, allowing you to hit the ball high and far.
It is a bit heavier, weighing three pounds (two times more than the TaylorMade 2017 M2 Men’s Fairway Wood). We commend the amazing adjustability, distance, and feel (it does feel great). But it is somewhat heavy and requires a lot of adjustment before you find the perfect settings (you will have to adjust weight and loft options, which is both good and bad).
The Cobra Men’s KING F6 Fairway Wood combines essential features that help you improve your performance on the course. The club is extremely forgiving because of the enlarged head and back CG positioning. You get a highly adjustable club with eight adjustable lofts that help you mange trajectory. It is available in three stiff options and available in three-color options. If you want a golf fairway wood with impressive features and one that offers an exceptional value for money, this is a club you might want to consider.
3. TaylorMade Men's AeroBurnerCheck latest price
- remarkably lightweight will add speed to players with slow swing
- simple, aerodynamic design decreases drag
- will add distance and speed to your game
- compatible with both hands, different stiff levels, and three-degree settings
- not fit for fast swing players (lightweight, might create too much spin)
- very little adjustability
TaylorMade Men’s AeroBurner comes for both hands, three stiffness options, and three degrees settings (15, 16.5 and 18).It features classic, aerodynamic design, shaped and made to strive for distance and speed.
The centered crown is raised. Thus helping reduce the drag and grant longer attachment to the ball (it is called AeroBurner for a reason). It weighs roughly 1 pounds, featuring thin and soft face with speed pockets that grant more forgiveness and more room to find your sweet spot.
It is incredibly lightweight, which some of you might like, but other’s won’t. This club combines lightweight metal with elastic, thin carbon cover face, crafted to suit recreational golfers and beginners alike. Due to its extreme lightweight properties, the club allows you to send the ball far and high in the air.
As such, it will unmistakably add the distance to those who seek it. However, it is probably not the best option for high swing players, since it is incredibly lightweight (you probably want more massive club if you already swing fast). Also, the club isn’t loft-adjustable, which is a downside if it doesn’t perform well on your favorite course.
We recommend it to beginners, and slow swing players, since these are the areas where TaylorMade Men’s AeroBurner strives the most.
The TaylorMade Men’s AeroBurner Golf Fairway Wood is one of the best woods for beginners, high handicappers and slow swingers alike. You get a club that is extremely forgiving, light with a high quality construction. There are very few adjustable settings, which makes the club easy to use for most golf beginners. The clubs weight makes it ideal for sow swingers and helps you hit longer distances. If you are looking for a golf wood that combines essential features that benefit golf beginners, this is it.
4. Callaway Golf Men's Rogue Fairway WoodCheck latest price
- features several technologies that improve speed and distance
- aerodynamically designed, less drag
- highly versatile and adjustable
- made of quality material (layer by layer)
- beautiful and stylish design
- the most expensive on the list
- not suited for beginners
The Callaway Golf Men’s Rogue Fairway Wood is the most expensive wood club on our list, highly configurable (from 13.5 degree/3+ wood to 23 degreess/9wood). Now you may think that this is impossible, but Callaway wants to prove you wrong.
Callaway introduced something called Jailbreak Distance Technology, enriching their clubs with more forgiveness and more distance. The club features two stainless steel bars which stiffen the club’s body, thus putting all the impact pressure on the face of the club, resulting in great speed and distance.
They also added the Face Cup Technology, a thin steel layer on the face, also promoting speed and distance. As this wasn’t enough, Callaway uses Internal Standing Technology, giving the player more control over the spin and the distance they want to achieve.
I love the design and the amount of thought that has been put into this club making it my personal favorite on the list. It is smooth and stylish, truly belonging to 2018. Performance-wise, this wood club has some rivals, but when it comes to aesthetics, it is the most beautiful club on the list.
Sadly, it is also the most expensive on the list, which is a downside. Also, I wouldn’t recommend this club to a beginner, for it does require a lot of adjustment before you use it.
The Callaway Golf 2018 Men’s Rogue Fairway Wood may come with a high investment value, but it is one of the best golf woods on the market currently. The club features several latest technologies that help you improve distance and speed. It is also highly adjustable, versatile and made of premium quality material, layer by layer. If you are looking for a golf 5-wood with the latest and most innovative features, this is a club you might want to consider.
5. Bullet Golf Ladies Fairway WoodCheck latest price
- inexpensive, truly cost-effective
- sturdy and quality made
- responsive, amazing feel
- great speed and distance
- decent precision (the ball will fly high and straight)
- fit only for right-hand use
- the shaft could have been less stiff
Bullet Golf Ladies Fairway Wood is right hand, 39 inches long wood club explicitly made for a woman, due to the shorter shaft and lightweight feature. Though women can perform well with man’s golf clubs (see here for more information), they are often shorter and seek golf clubs made specifically for their requirements.
Bullet Golf Ladies Fairway Wood features thin, stainless steel crown, thus putting the pressure on the lower parts of the club, giving you more velocity upon impact. The shaft, which is the frame of the club, is made of carbon (specifically of graphite, which is the most enduring form of carbon).
The grip is firm and comfortable, covered with soft rubber. The head of this club is also covered with rubber. Flex is made primarily for ladies, so man wouldn’t be comfortable using this club. This is also the most inexpensive product on our list, but probably the most cost-effective one, considering the performance t delivers.
Despite the low cost, the soft is feel, distance amazing, and the club is quality made and quite robust. The shaft could have been a bit more responsive and elastic (it is too stiff). Also, it is fit for right-handers only.
The Bullet Golf Ladies Golf Fairway Wood is one of the best golf woods designed to suit the physical needs of women golfers. It comes with a light construction for comfortable swings to help you gain ball speed and distance. You get a club with an amazing, responsive feel and feedback upon impact while offering you decent levels of precision. If you are an occasional female golfer looking for a fairway wood with some of the best features, this is the ideal wood.
Conclusion and Editors Choice
The winner of our list is the TaylorMade M2 Men’s Fairway Wood. It is the most sophisticated 5 wood club on our list.
It is very adjustable, forgiving, and fit for high and mid handicappers. It is, however, the most expensive club on the list, and we wouldn’t recommend it to beginners due to its more complex design.
But, you should always pick the club that will serve you, your needs and requirements.