It’s no secret that having a great short game is an essential success-skill in golf.
In fact, Indoor putting green provides several different skills to help you build an effective short game:
- Knowing your putters
- Shot accuracy
- Power control
- Spin control
- Mental rehearsal
If you want to perfect your short game and maintain this skill, especially in the off-season, having a great indoor putting green can be a great training support.
And in this article, I’m going to cover the best indoor putting greens on the market and everything you need to know to choose the right one for you.
Let’s dive right in.
Quick Comparison: Our Top Picks
Jump to the full reviews
The Best indoor putting greens in 2019
Let’s have a look at our reviews of the 5 best options currently on the market at the start of 2019.
Best Indoor Putting Green Overall
Putt-A-Bout Grassroots is a three-holed, 9 x 4 feet indoor putting mat. This cutting mat is very famous among the professional golfers for its high quality and smooth grass mat. Putt A Bout has a foam underneath the grass surface which gives it a uniform appearance.
You can put this grass mat inside your house on a wooden or marble floor for a good practice session. If you are done with your practicing and wants to wrap the putting green up then it is quite easy to do that too, you can roll it up and keep it in a safe place without harming the grass itself.
- The quality of the product is very solid, and it will not get damaged even if you leave it there in your house with kids.
- The best part of the Putt a Bout is that it has a slope, with its kidney shape, it gets quite easy for the player to get the fly in the hole.
- When it is unpacked, it immediately returns to its flat form since there is a foam surface attached to it.
- The holes of the putting green are not built inside the grass that means it is the part of the seam only.
- The another bad thing about this putting green is that there is no path in the Putt a Bout for the ball to come back to the player.
The Putt-A-Bout Grassroots Par-3 Putting Green is one of the best indoor-putting green available, thanks to its features. You get a putting green with high quality and durable construction for longevity, a large surface measuring 9 x 4 feet, and three putting holes for improved versatility. It is also easy and safe to keep while providing economy of space. Although the holes are not built inside the grass and it lacks a path for the ball to come back to the player, the Putt a Bout indoor putting green is a product might want to consider.
Best Value Indoor Putting Mat
SKLZ Accelerator Pro Indoor Putting Mat has the hole that is constructed on the upper part of the slope so that the ball returns to the player after it hits the hole. Sklz covers the total area of 9 feet x 1.35 feet area has a vertical in shape and has marks to keep the momentum accurate.
This putting green is easy to remove wherever you place it. It can only be placed on the flat surfaces since the down part of the Sklz is made of plastic and will be jolting if placed on the surface that has bumps. I would rate this product 4 out of 5. However, it is one of the best indoor putting greens available in the market, but it lacks the quality.
- The greens of the putting are wrinkle-free and are very real looking.
- The putting is very lightweight though easy to set up and move around.
- The markings on the grass make you better by practicing.
- Since it is one the bestseller and favorite indoor putting green for the golfers, there are few cons.
- The incline on the slope is very hard and the player has to work a little bit harder to work to hit a shot and put it in a hole.
- Since the down part is made up of plastic, and this putting is has a system of returning the balls to the player. The returning ball attachment is made up of cheap material which is an awful part of the putting.
The Sklz Accelerator Indoor Putting Mat is an ideal option for golfers looking to practice their short game before or after a game or during the off-season. It is small and compactible in size measuring 9 feet x 1.35, with a durable and attractive construction, design, and finish. You get a putting mat that is light, easy-to-use & store, and well-marked to boost your performance during practice. If you are looking for an indoor putting mat with good features and an impressive value for money, this is the product for you.
Best Indoor Putting Green for Chip Practice
Big Moss Augusta Putting Green is a perfect size indoor putting a mat with a size of 12’ x 4’. This putting green has three holes and can be settled on any flat surface.
You can also practice long shot because of its size; this mat has a foam attached at the end of the mat to stop the ball from going off the mat. This mat is very pricey and can be out of budget for many people who want to buy this but cannot afford.
- This putting green is very reliable and has an outstanding quality you can use it for a longer period and practice on it as much as you want.
- It is one of the best practicing carpets indoor, on which you can learn to chip and practice your skills.
- It is easier to roll up and keep it in a safe place or take out with you.
- The chipping balls that come along with the carpet are made up of plastic, and when you are playing golf, you will not feel real.
- The most crucial thing which customers complain about is that it is very pricey product despite having so many ambiguities.
- The mat is very thin, so where ever it is placed it does not give the feel of the grass just the feeling of that surface it is placed on.
The Big Moss Augusta Putting Green may come with a high investment value, but it’s features and levels of practicability overshadow the price. You get an indoor putting green designed to offer you maximum comfort during practice on your short game. It is also ideal for players looking for greens that help them practice their chips and rolls. If you are looking for an indoor putting green that will help you improve your chips and rolls on the green, this is a product worth considering.
Best Indoor Putting Green for Beginners and Kids
JEF is an amazing putting green if you have kids in your house who loves to play gold. It comes under your budget. It has a unique ball return feature which goes under the hole.
This putting mat also has an inclined slope, so it is easier for the player to hit the ball in the hole. The putting green that has a regulation sized cup, a bunker, and a water hazard comes at a reasonable price.
- The best part of the JEF is that it is very cheap and makes the best gift for your kids if they are interested in gold.
- Since it has a slope; you can develop excellent golfing skills just by staying at home.
- The green material on it is of cheap quality, it is very harsh, and the ball will stop again and again.
- This is only made for kids so; it is of no use for the professional golfers.
- The green part of the putting is glued to the pavement and cannot be detached if you want to move it or pack it to keep it in a safe place.
The JEF World of Golf Hazard Deluxe Putting Mat is designed with kid golfers in mind. It is easy to use, durable and affordable, which makes it the ideal indoor greens for youngsters and golf newbies. Although it lacks the features of a professional’s option, it is ideal for kids and beginners looking to practice their short game. If you are looking for indoor greens that will help you or your kids start, learn and advance on their short game, this is a product worth considering.
Best Indoor Putting Green for Professional Players
Callaway is 2 x 8 feet Carpet has a foam seam. It has one putting cup that can be moved according to your practicing skills and what kind of game you are playing. The foam in the putting allows it stay straight.
This indoor putting green is perfect for professional golfers, who likes to practice golf in the home. For the avid golfers, this Callaway putting mat is not a pricey one. However, it does feel pricey to the customers who want to buy it for fun.
- If you are not a professional golfer, and you want to buy a putting green for leisure purposes then this one is not for you.
- Callaway Golf is not only available for the avid golfer, but it is sort of pricey in a sense that it will only be used few times only.
- This is a very simple and unique putting which can be set up in a couple of minutes.
- It has a smooth surface and high quality because of the foam underneath the carpet.
- Even though it is a pricey product to buy just for practice and entertainment but its worth it because of its great quality and amazing grass.
- On this surface, your practice will only make you perfect in off season too.
The Callaway Golf Executive Putting Mat is designed to suit advanced golfers looking to improve their short game. You get an indoor carpet with high-quality foam construction, which allows you to use the product for a long period. The carpet is smooth-surfaced, with a unique and attractive design, which makes it one of the best looking indoor putting carpets on the market. If you are an advanced/professional golfer looking for an indoor putting green that will help you improve your short game significantly, this is it.
Choosing the Best Putting Green
If you are a fan of golf, then you might love to go out to play golf on the golf course and have fun with your friends once in a while. Even if you are playing professional level golf, you need some practicing at home. Indoor putting green can be a fun way to enjoy with your friends at home as well if you like to play small games of golf.
However, they are very convenient in the winters when it is the off-season for golf. There are many different kinds of indoor putting green available in the market; it is up to you which mat you want to choose for yourself.
Different people have different priorities while buying a Putting green. One thing is for sure that everyone who wants to play golf inside their house wants a realistic look of grass to make it look like you are at the course so you could have the same entertainment and fun.
People who use the putting green for recreational purposes would like to believe that bigger putts are better than smaller ones. However, the avid golfers might not think that. People who use it for practicing golf at home would like to have more realistic and bigger mats.
When buying an indoor putting mat, you have to make sure if it is reliable and can match your golfing practices. Check the reviews before buying the cutting mat and make sure the product is durable. There are few things to keep in mind before buying every putting mat which is if it’s comfortable to set up, easily placed in storage, move-able to a new location, and clean.
Choosing a putting mat to display in your living room or anywhere in your house just to look it more attractive can be a hard choice. Well, for that you have to look for the color of the grass that’s more natural, and of course the surface will not be your priority. Make sure that it is easy to clean because if it is installed in your room or living area then you might want to clean it again and again.
If you are using the putting for recreational purposes to install on your turf then do go under your budget. You will find putting mats of all the price range from $30 to $300 in the market. However it is up to you to buy a cost-effective mat which has good quality too. Do keep in mind that all these factors are important in choosing a final turf for yourself, choose the one that is made for your place. The most natural one is the best choice every time.
Benefits of Installing a Putting Green:-
Having a putting green in your home is fun and gives a feeling of luxury. It is a very interesting idea to bring the golf course to your house if you do not feel like going out in the sunny afternoon to play. There are many benefits to having a big or even small putting grass in your place, here are some;
- Practice makes perfect. Not entirlely – perfect training makes perfect. So if you are an avid golfer, then you need to get in quality reps off the golf course too. The advantage of putting green is that you can quickly put yourself into practice anytime you want and many of the best putting drills still work indoors.
- You know why investment in indoor putting is a decision? Because if you are a fan of golf and go golfing every month or week just for recreational purposes, then you might be giving a lot of money in the highly paid golfing clubs.
- Best things best, it is an indoor thing, so there is no strain of cleaning it again and again or getting the mud on it. Most of the time the mats are easy to clean and washable as well.
- You want your backyard to look cooler? Hell yeah!! Just install a putting green in it and watch what impression you get from family and friends.
- Your kids would love the idea of a mini golf course in the backyard or inside your home, include them in playing the golf. Since the carpets are reliable and durable, they will not get damaged. However, cleaning will be required but do not worry about the damage.
- If you have to know how about the gold beforehand then you must know that in golf, speed is a factor. Try the grass before you buy it if the ball has speed on it.
- The design is the central part, some of the putting greens have the marks and holes to set the momentum for golfers however others are designed just as plain as they come.
- The putting mats give you a warranty of 10-15 years and usually depending on the quality and brand. They are sure of the durable stuff. Customers might not be happy with the product, but they can return or get it repaired or clean it.
How to Use Putting Grass:
We have many entertainment places where we can pay to play mini golf and golf with many names. But why pay when you can have it at your home? Installing the putting grass can be one of the questions new customers might ask. However, some of the mats can be just unrolled, and they are ready to use. Install your mat in a place where it looks good and attracts a lot of people visiting your home. Since the green color is attractive and it will be a great way to make your guests welcome at your house.
Mostly, soft golf mats can be installed on the wooden surfaced, and that means inside your house. You can choose a specific room or living room as well, but if you bought the mat for kids, then playroom is the best to install the cutting mat.
The best way to use the putting green can be around the swimming pool area if you have one in your house. It will give you a beautiful and fresh environment to play in.The grass is not necessary to use inside, you can use it on the concrete or marble as well. Some mats can be bumpy on pavement, however others give you perfect straight surface.
For more description, click on the play button:
Like I mentioned not all putting mats are meant to be put on concrete or marble or hard surfaces. However, they can be best to install in the backyard. It will give your backyard a perfect look and also your already green backyard will be greener with the artificial grass. If you have a mat that is big and you are an avid golfer you can just drill or glue it in the ground and make your backyard a proper golf course.
Here is a helpful video link on how to use an indoor putting grass;
Conclusion and Editor's Choice
In my opinion, the best-putting green out of all five would be Putt-A-Bout Grassroots, mostly because of its size and surface.
It is both for kids and professional golfers and can be placed on any surface. It is one of the best according to the customers. Like it is explained in the Pros and Cons; this product has a foam surface which does not give it bumps and keep the grass straight. It is great for avid golfers and has three cups for the ball. Try to look into the specifications when you are buying a putting grass for indoor golf and set your priorities.