What are the Best Golf Mats in 2018?
I think you'll agree with me when I say:
There is nothing as satisfying as going out there and hitting golf balls on a real golf course.
You and I aren't PGA Pros, so we can’t just spend every other day on the green.
So what can you do when you are feeling the itch to put, chip, and pitch and don’t have the time to drive to the green.
Practicing your skills from on an golf mat might be the only option you’ll have.
So how do you select one that will match your style of play?
By the end of this guide, you will be in a position to paint a picture of the mat you are looking for and make an informed decision.
Let's dive right in.
Our Roundup Selection
Editor’s choice: Call-away Launch Zone Hitting Mat
If you are interested in getting a mat that is value for money without having to spend too much, you might want to have a look at this Callaway launch mat. It is a durable mat from a reputable company, offering the feeling of real turf.
At 18 by 16 inches, it is one of the smallest mats in the market and ideal for people with limited space, but an unlimited passion for golf.
The mat comes with several features that distinguish it from the rest;
1. A steady heavy rubber base keeps it from sliding away from the anchorage position.
2. The base is heavily padded to absorb shock. This feature protects your body and clubs from becoming damaged.
3. Because of its rubberized base, it can be virtually used on any surface.
This mat will come in handy when perfect your swing because it is compatible with hybrids, woods, and irons. Besides this, the design is ergonomic, making it compact and easily portable when traveling. The design after features a patented tee holding technology which gives you the freedom to use any tees.
What you might not like;
Though this mat is precisely designed with a beginner in mind, you might find the rubbery smell of the mat to be offensive. However, its affordable price and high effectiveness cover for that.
- You get value for money at a very affordable price.
- The feel and experience are as realist as that on a golf course.
- Highly durable against wear and tear.
- It is compact and portable, a feature that makes it easy to transport the mat.
- The rubber base makes sure that the mat does not slide when you are practicing.
- Beginners might find its small size hard to get used to.
- An offensive rubbery smell coming from the mat as a result of its rubberized base.
Best value: 36″ X 60″ XL Super Tee Golf Mat
This super tee golf mat is a full-sized practice mat crafted from spring crimped nylon, a material that does not bunch and is fade resistant. It is also highly durable and minimizes staring on the wrists on elbows. This mat also allows golfers to use a wooded tee, unlike other mats.
Some of the mat’s distinguishing features include:
1. The mat is big, allowing a golfer to stand on it and use it just as they would do on a golf course.
2. A 1.25Urethane reinforced thickness makes it durable and resistant to extreme weather elements. This thickness also makes it better adapted to resisting wear and tear as a result of a long time of usage.
3. It is heavy, a feature that prevents it from sliding off the surface when in use.
This mat is also specially designed to reduce clubhead speed when fat shots are made. The fibers of the mat go deeper and cause the ball to hit the ball down. In low-quality mats, the fibers spring after you make a shot, resulting into a mis-hit. This doesn’t happen to this ergonomically designed mat.
What you might not like;
Some people might find the spongy feel of the mat not to be natural. It might take time to get used to it.
- Does not slide when in use. It remains anchored on its position even after making strong shots.
- Big enough for all players to find it easy to get used to it.
- It big thickness provides enough cushioning for the player and the club.
- You get instant feedback form fat shots.
- You can safely use different types of clubs.
- The mat is crafted from high-quality materials and does not disintegrate or stick to the club.
- The spongy feeling of the mat might be annoying to some golfers.
Best seller: Country Club Elite Real Feel Golf Mat
This is perhaps the priciest mat on this list. However, this Club Elite mat gives you a natural feel like that of a golf course. The feeling is like that of swinging and hitting the ball on a real course.
Some of its most distinguishing features include:
1. A Long fiber system which offers little resistant to the club. It instead absorbs the shock eliminating the annoying bounce associated with mats that provide little or no forgiveness.
2. You get instant feedback after hitting fat strokes. You can surely count on it to perfect your skills, especially regular practice and accuracy.
3. It is crafted from high-quality materials which last for long periods of time even under constant use.
4. As a result of its heavy padding and cushioning, injury to the wrist and elbow is eliminated.
5. The mat can be adjusted to a desirable height. This feature also makes it possible to use wooden tees, unlike in other mats in its class.
It can only be fair to call this mat the “Real Feel” because all of its features are designed to come as close as possible to a golf course.
- Thanks to its strong cushioning, the ball is not prone to bouncing.
- It offers high degrees of forgiveness, reducing the probability of hurting yourself or damaging your club.
- The authentic feel can be compared to that of a golf course.
- You also get the freedom to adjust the mat to a height that you find best.
- This means that you can also use a wooden tee.
- Durable and long lasting.
- It can flatten when in use.
Worthy Competitor: PGM-3660 3' x 5' Emerald Par Golf Mat
If you are out for a basic mat with some extra thickness to sharpen your golfing skills, this Emerald mat will come in handy at only a fraction of the price. It is a well-constructed mat, crafted from high-quality nylon grass and artistically woven for super stability and efficiency. The nylon grass is strongly bonded with the industrial grade to prevent it from disintegration. This implies that you can count on it to serve you for several years.
Some of the features that set it aside from the rest include:
1. A five-inch thick padding which protects your club from damage and hands from injury even when used on concrete and wooden floors.
2. The foam backing is also designed with firm grips which ensure that the mat does not slide when under use.
3. In case you do not have the money to buy tees, the manufacturer provides plastic ones with every mat bought. You also have the freedom to use wooden tees with this mat.
All in all, this mat is designed for golfers of every caliber looking to better their strokes. Playing on the mat will give you a real-life feeling like that on a golf course.
What you might not like;
The mat is not waterproof. Therefore, when exposed to high degrees of moisture, the fibers tend to disintegrate.
- You get value for your money.
- Adequate cushioning prevents the risk of injury or damaging your club.
- Stylishly constructed with highly durable nylon fibers.
- It comes with a one year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Strong grips prevent it from sliding when under use.
- Fibers disintegrate when exposed to water. It is simply not waterproof.
- You can’t leave it in the open for a long time.
Worthy Competitor : Dura-Pro Residential Golf Hitting Mat
This residential hitting mat is a highly effective practice mat since it can be used both for outdoor and indoor practice. This is possible because it is crafted from high-quality nylon which does not disintegrate when exposed to high levels of moisture.
Some of the features that distinguish it from the rest include:
1. It is a large-sized mat which makes it possible to accommodate a player and provides enough space to hit the ball in whichever angle desired.
2. The mat is crafted from composite material and knitted nylon which gives it strength and durability.
3. Unlike other standard mats, this one has undergone custom bonding and thermal wielding which keeps the fibers from disintegrating over time.
4. Strong padding and heavy cushioning absorb shock waves after hitting the ball. This reduced the risk of injury and protects your club from being damaged by the floor.
5. The manufacturer also claims that the matter is 30 percent thicker than other standard mats in the market.
Besides all these features, this mat is made in the USA. It instills confidence and trust. After buying it, you can rest assured that that will live up to your expectations.
What you might not like;
Even though this mat is one of the best in the market, the bottom might wear up faster than you might expect it. The mat is not designed to produce divots, and if you try doing so, you will end up destroying it.
- It is 30 percent denser than standard mats in the market.
- It accommodated both drivers and irons.
- It comes with an eight-year UV coverage.
- Crafted from composite fiber and waved nylon which makes it highly durable.
- Thermal welded for extra strength.
- Comes with free rubber tees.
- Can only be sued for residential purposes only.
- Not designed to produce divots.
- The bottom can wear out faster than expected.
Why buy a golf mat?
There are several reasons why any golfer should consider buying a golf mat:
It will get you through winters:
Any experienced golfer will bear me witness that when winter comes knocking, playing on the golf course can become messy. With a golf mat, you have the freedom to keep practicing through winter and sharpen your skill in anticipation for the return of the next golfing season. This way, you will improve your skill and improve your gameplay.
A perfect way to keep relaxed:
Like any other human, we golfer become stressed, annoyed and bored. And since golf is very calming golf, having a mat around gives you the opportunity to return to high spirits without having to drive to your golf course. In other words, it is a convenience, effective and time-saving way to keep your spirits high.
An affordable solution for those who can’t afford golf club membership:
If you are on a budget but need some solid training equipment, a golf mat is a perfect way to ensure that you keep enjoying and practicing your golf skill until you get enough money to join a golf club.
Types of mats available in the market:
Usually, you will find three types of golf mats on the market. These are:
1. Standard sized mats:
The size of a typically sized mat is 3’ x 5’ or 5’ x 5’. On such a mat, a golfer has the room to stand on the mat and hit the ball on a full swing.
2. Hitting area mat:
The size of these mats is normally one by 1 feet. They are very small, and they usually are not designed to be stood when hitting the ball. They also need a leveling mat for them to be usable.
3. Divot producing mats:
These mats are designed with high-end technology to replicate the feeling of hitting the ball on a real golf course.
What to consider when buying a golf mat?
A good golf mat could mean the difference between success and failure on the golf course. It gives you the opportunity to improve your skill without having to be on the golf course. If you make the wrong decision and choose an ineffective mat, it will stall the development of your skills and even worse, damage your expensive golfing equipment.
Let ’s have a look at some of the factors you need to take into consideration when selecting a golf mat:
Before buying a mat, you need to be aware of the space you are willing to give up for your practice. Besides this, having prior knowledge of the clubs you intend to use on the mat will also come in handy. After so doing, you will be in a position to select a mat fit for your practice. Unless you want to break things around your home, the mat you select need to be big enough to accommodate you and provide space for making a full swing. A good sized mat should be 3'x 5' or 5' x 5'.
The material of a mat determines the level of comfort and feel of the gameplay. For this reason, go for a material that will match with your flooring so that you can have smooth practice experience.
Let’s have a look at some of the materials that commonly make golf mats;
- Rubber base:
Mats that are designed from rubber are denser. This extra density makes them more firm and stable when under use.
- Silicone base:
A silicon base feels bouncier than a rubber one, but the feeling is more realistic. The good this thing with using a silicone crafted mat is that skills learned on it are easily transferable to the golf course.
This is perhaps the most important factor to take into consideration. Considering that a golf mat is meant to take hits, strikes and always exposed to extreme weather conditions, it needs to be strong and highly durable. Make sure that the material can endure huge degrees of abuse before taking one home.
As you are already aware, tees do take a lot of hits, especially if you are a beginner. Even for a seasoned player, it is most likely that you will break several tees in your golfing career.
Therefore, a mat that allows you to place safely and in the right way will help you become more skilled and make it easier to adapt to your clubs and stance.
When it comes to a golf mat, the design should never be overlooked. One of the most crucial features of the design is the thickness. You see, thicker mats are better when it comes to absorbing shock. They also prevent your clubs from becoming damaged.
Besides the design, pay attention to the quality of the turf fillings. Low-quality fillings will reduce the quality of your strikes because they stick on the club’s heads. In some cases, they might also scratch the heads.
You might tend to believe that the more expensive a cost mat, the higher its quality. It might be a universal rule, but it isn’t always the case. Instead of cost, look at the materials that are used to make the mat. This way, you will be in a position to ensure that you get value for money on the mat you decide to buy.
You might also be asking the question, is wise to buy very high quality and expensive mat because you can? Well, the answer is not right away. If you are a beginner or a novice, the quality doesn’t matter. Emphasize basics such as your striking technique.
You see, there is no need of destroying a pricey mat with your sloppy and sluggish strikes. For an experienced player, high quality and expensive mat will come in handy because it is all about nuances and finesse.
The thing is, select a medium priced mat if you are not yet a highly skilled player. It will provide you the opportunity to build a solid golf foundation without costing you a fortune.
Taking all of the above factors into consideration, the Callaway launch mat emerges as the winner in our review and this is for several reasons.
First and foremost, it is a durable mat from a reputable company, offering the feeling of real turf. At 18 by 16 inches, it is one of the smallest mats in the market and ideal for people with limited space, but an unlimited passion for golf.
The mat comes with several features that distinguish it from the rest. It is equipped with A steady heavy rubber base keeps it from sliding away from the anchorage position. The base is heavily padded to absorb shock. This feature protects your body and clubs from becoming damaged. Because of its rubberized base, it can be virtually used on any surface.