The 5 Best Womens Golf Clubs and Golf Sets to Buy in 2019
Let’s face it:
Finding the right Golf equipment for women can be challenging – for some it’s even harder than finding the right shoes.
But if you thought that women’s golf clubs were just quality clubs rereleased in various shades of pink, think again!
They are designed with the average female golfer in mind.
Let’s look at some of the best women’s golf clubs on the market right now and how to choose the right ones as a female golfer.
Our shortlist of the best womens golf clubs was last updated on January 2nd 2019 and includes:
Quick Comparison: Our Top Picks
Jump to the full reviews
The Best Womens Golf Clubs in 2019
Let’s have a look at our list of reviews of the 5 most popular models currently on the market at the start of 2019.
Best Golf Club Set for Women Overall
If you want to have a complete set of clubs that will be durable and stay with you for a long time, don’t look any further. The Callaway Womens Golf Set with 16 pieces is our top choice, and for good reason.
It comes with 16 pieces including:
- Driver: A full titanium driver that gives you a large sweet spot and more forgiveness to hit it long off the tee
- Fairway Wood: Very forgiving fairway 3-wood built with an aerodynamic club head for long, high flying shots
- Hybrids: 4-hybrid and 5-hybrid which deliver distance, forgiveness and Control
- Irons and Wedges: A 6 club combination of stainless steel wedges and irons which provide you good control and forgiveness helping you to the green from shorter distances
- Putter: A putter with a precise face milling design which provides great accuracy and shot control
- 4 head covers
- A lightweight bag that comes with a durable backpack strap, a cooler pocket, 5 other handy pockets, and a rain hood. I also comes in a turquoise color which will help you to stand out from the crowd
This set is best for you if you…
- Are unsure about which set to get and just want a good choice quickly
- Want a high quality set from the industry leader at a fair price point
- Want a complete set of clubs that can be your companion until you reach very advanced player levels
- Simply want an overall great set
- Aim to share a set with other women and want all to benefit from it
- Comes with hybrids which are an excellent alternative to typical irons
- The clubs have an easy grip and are comfortable to handle
- It comes with 4 head covers to protect the bigger clubs
- The driver is lightweight and is taller than a standard beginners club – it also has a large sweet spot
- Includes a complete selection clubs
- Stylish appearance of the bag
- Despite the completeness, the set is still fairly lightweight
- The bag offers pockets, backpack style straps and best of all, pop-out legs to convert it to a stand bag
- Comes well packaged to avoid damage in transport
- If you are a very tall lady, this set might not be suitable for you. This set works best for women shorter than 6’0”
- Besides quality, you also pay for the brand name, so the price is higher than a standard set which makes it unsuitable if you have a lower budget, unless there is a sale running
- Some customers mention that the club head can bruise easily, but this seems to be the exception rather than the rule
The Callaway Women’s Strata Ultimate with 16 pieces is an excellent choice for you, whether you’re a beginner or a mid handicapper. It includes quality, easy to handle clubs and a sturdy bag with nice comfort features for easy transport. It’s not a budget set, but it’s also not as expensive as some of the luxury sets you will come across.
|Callaway Women's Strata Ultimate Complete Golf Set (16-Piece)||88 Customer Reviews||CHECK PRICE|
Best Value Golf Club Set for Women
The Callaway 2019 Women’s Strata Complete Golf Set with 11 pieces is our choice for the best golf set for women on a budget.
While it offers only a fewer items than our top choice, it may be an even better investment. The set includes 11 pieces, consisting of…
- a 460cc lightweight driver
- 7 iron
- 9 iron
- a putter
- sand wedge
- 3 head covers
- a rain hood
- a durable, easy carry bag.
This set is most suitable for you if you are…
- looking for a budget alternative and want to save money
- want to get the best performance for your money
- just starting out in golf or play a high handicap just recreationally
If you’re just starting out or playing recreationally at a high handicap level, you may not wish to purchase a larger set such as 14 or 16 pieces, so this 11 piece set is great as a starting point.
You can add additional items to the set as you go along making this set a popular choice.
The set itself comes in a pink and black design, helping you add a splash of color onto the field.
- Offers beginner friendly clubs that are easy to play with
- Includes a visual alignment aid on the putter helping your accuracy
- Forgiving and oversized wood with an aerodynamic head shape helps you make longer shots on the fairway
- Great price to quality ratio
- One of the few starter sets that come with a sand wedge
- It’s not overly complicated, and you get the equipment you need with no confusion
- The grip of this set has been said to be less comfortable than other sets
- No extensive club selection, so an upgrade will be needed once you become an intermediate player
- The fairway woods will dent after use slightly easier than more expensive sets
- It club length may not suitable for you if you are a woman over 6’0”
The Callaway 2019 Women’s Strata Complete Golf Set with 11 pieces is one of the best golf sets for you if you are on a budget, a complete beginner or simply want to play recreationally at a high handicap level. It’s affordable and offers all essential clubs in a durable, high quality fashion. A durable, high quality bag rounds of the value pack. If you are in the early stages of your golf journey this set provides an excellent starting point.
|Callaway Women's Strata Complete Golf Set (11-Piece)||153 Customer Reviews||CHECK PRICE|
Best Clubs for Beginners & High Handicappers
This is a full-fledged set of womens clubs for serious beginners and high handicappers looking to have a companion set of clubs for a long time at a pocket-friendly price.
This set includes:
- a driver
- a fairway wood #3
- a 4-hybrid
- a irons #6, 7, 8, 9
- a pitching wedge
- a putter
You also get a cart bag complete with strap for easy carrying as well as had covers.
Though they have left out the hard to hit long irons, Wilson provides you distance with the graphite shafted driver and fairway wood.
- A full set, with all the clubs you might need
- Wilson provides a 4-hybrid instead of a long iron, which makes it more forgiving to play
- The driver and 3-wood provide swing speed support with graphite shafts
- The steel shafted irons with cavity backs are perfect for improving your stroke play from the fairway onto the greens
- The driver seems to quite long for women under 5’3”
The Wilson Ultra Ladies Complete Golf Club Set bundles a full selection of easy to play, quality clubs with a comfy back and an affordable price. If you are just starting out in the sport or play a high handicap and want this set to be a companion for a long time, you found a match.
Best Cheap Golf Clubs for Women
This budget set from Confidence Golf comes steel shafted. It contains:
- a driver,
- a 4-hybrid,
- set of cavity back irons is 6-PW with Steel shafts,
- semi-mallet style putter
- stand bag with auto pop legs
- The 460cc driver has adequate forgiveness, while the 4-hybrid brings some extra distance game
The hybrid semi-mallet style putter and a stand bag with auto pop legs complete the package.
- This is one of the most affordable sets for ladies
- The higher lofted driver and hybrid over extra forgiveness and ball flight
- The clubs are lightweight despite being steel shafted
- The stand bag is excellent with very convenient legs
- Not suitable for mid or low handicap play and advanced shots
- Lower resale value due to the more unknown brand
- There are no graphite shafts, so this set may not be suitable for ladies who have trouble with their swing speeds
If you are on a tight budget but still want to get a quality set as a beginning or high handicap lady, the Power Hybrid Club Set from Confidence delivers. You’ll be hard pressed to find a cheaper option with the same level of quality, unless you buy used, so take a look, as they may just be discounted even further at the time of this writing.
Most Affordable Clubs for Petite Women
This is one of the complete sets in our list, containing:
- a driver with a light, 460cc club head and graphite shafts,
- a fairway wood with graphite shafts,
- a hybrid with a generous 24-degree loft and high forgivness,
- a full set of steel shafted irons,
- a sand wedge
- a putter.
The package also includes a very convenient stand bag, head covers and rain cover.
- The driver, wood, and irons come with Ladies flex, which is great for beginners.
- This is a complete set; you don’t have to make any further purchases unless you feel the need for upgrades on individual clubs like the driver and putter.
- The clubs are lightweight and easy to swing with a short shaft length
- The shafts are ideal for shorter women between 5’0” and 5’5″
- The deluxe stand bag is comfortable
- The irons come with steel shafts which makes them sturdy but a little more heavy than the graphite shafted clubs
The New Deluxe Petite Ladies Set is a favorite among petite women just starting their journey or playing at a higher handicap, and for good reason. It is lightweight, offers a good selection of quality clubs that are perfect for shorter women while being affordable at the same time.
|New Deluxe Petite Ladies Complete Golf Package Set||22 Customer Reviews||CHECK PRICE|
Why do we need Women's Clubs in the sport?
In the past, manufacturers didn’t offer exclusive clubs for women. The primary reason was that there were very few female golfers.
All that changed with the rising number of women taking up the sport in the last few decades.
Initially, the so-called “women’s clubs” were nothing more than men’s clubs rebadged with a splash of pink or pastel colors thrown into the design! But thankfully, that has changed in recent years. Today’s women’s clubs are designed for female golfers, remembering their physique and physical capabilities.
What are Women’s Golf Clubs?
Women’s golf clubs are based on the same technology as men’s clubs, but differ in these aspects:
Shaft Length: Since women are shorter than men on average, the shaft length of all women’s clubs is shorter by at least an inch.
For example, if a standard 5-iron is 37.75 inches long, the female variant is kept at 36.75inches.
The shafts for women are designed for an average height of 5’6″- 5’7″, while for men the height is maintained at around 5’9″ -5’10”.
Sometimes, even regular clubs are designed with shorter shafts, like the Nike CPR golf clubs, and they might be suitable for both men and women of similar height.
Shaft Flex: Female golfers usually achieve slower swing speeds, due to less upper body strength. To offset this, steel/metals shafts are changed for the more flexible graphite. As a result, the shafts of women’s golf clubs have higher amounts of flex.
Club Weight: To make it easier for female golfers to control their clubs, they are often lighter than regular golf clubs.
With irons, the clubheads are made heavier, while the overall weight of the club is still kept on the lower side with shorter shafts. This ensures maximum control.
Loft Angle: Higher lofts on a club will ensure that shots will climb higher into the air.
Women’s drivers and woods are given higher loft angles to help lady golfers get the ball high into the air from the tee or the fairway, maximizing distance.
Grips: The grips are shorter and thinner, as women tend to have smaller hands than men.
The grips on ladies clubs are often distinct thanks to the softer, pastel colors used.
If you want to dive deeper into each feature, youtube is a great way to start. Here is a short informative video on the features to look for in women’s golf clubs:
Misconceptions About Gender and Golf Clubs
No hard and fast rules exist to determine which golf club someone can use (except for overall size for tournament clubs).
Just because you are a woman doesn’t mean you have to use women’s clubs, or vice versa.
Many men use women’s grade or senior grade clubs purely because those clubs suit them. The important thing is to choose a club that suits your physique, fitness levels, swing style, and overall play style.
Many female golfers on the Pro circuit use regular golf clubs. A great example of this is Michelle Wie.
At 6 foot, she is taller than the average woman golfer and would benefit from having a longer club.
Besides that, since she is a gifted golfer blessed with high swing speed, she can prosper with a stiff flex instead of the softer ladies flex.
Who Should Use Women’s Clubs
The general rule of thumb here is: the taller you are (more than 5’6″), the less suitable women’s clubs will be for you.
If you fall into the category of the average woman golfer (shorter than 5’6″, with slower swing speeds), then women’s clubs most likely benefit you.
Further Clarification Regarding Shaft Flex
Golf club manufacturers have an established naming convention for flex levels used in golf clubs. These include
- Extra Stiff (X),
- Stiff (S),
- Regular (R),
- Senior (A) and
- Ladies (L) which is the softest grade.
Simply having an L grade shaft doesn’t make a club a woman’s golf club.
Likewise, just because you need a woman’s club (with a short shaft and smaller grip) doesn’t mean that the L grade shaft is the ideal choice for you.
Some ladies might need a regular club with L grade shafts, while others need a shorter, woman’s clubs with regular or even stiffer grade shafts.
For this precise reason, it is helpful to either try out multiple clubs to see which work best for you or to get your clubs fitted by a professional club fitter.
The Bottom Line
When you factor in both affordability and function, the Callaway 2019 Women’s Strata Ultimate Complete Golf Set with 16 Pieces is my clear favorite. No matter what you’re looking for in Ladies Golf Clubs, the Strata Ultimate Complete delivers.
Here are some of the features that make it stand out from the crowd:
- It’s compact and lightweight yet sturdy, which makes it portable, easy to carry and great for traveling.
- It offers a vast selection of clubs including specialty clubs, so you are covered in every situation.
- The clubs offer a good feel, high build quality, are very forgiving yet still provide good control.
- The price is better than many other higher-quality sets.
- The Stand bag is lightweight with a stylish modern look and convenient pockets.
Whether you’re just playing occasionally multiple times per week, the Strata Ultimate Complete will help you reach your goals. In no time, your may just surprise yourself on the course and will be thriving from the benefits this set has to offer.
Your selection of clubs is such an important part of your enjoyment of golf, and the right clubs can make the difference between it being a frustrating disappointment or a happy success. I know it can be a drag to research all the club options out there, but it’s more than worth it when you consider what you gain by buying the right set for you.
About the Author
Hi, I'm Mattis. I love learning and challenging myself. Right now I love learning golf, so I started Fast Learners.I believe that consistency and deliberate practice are the keys to success, especially when you also take the time to reflect and get feedback on what you do. Therefore, it's my goal to provide you with the 20% most likely to get you where you want to go. Cheers to your success.